Peek at my Week: October 5th

I'm linking up with Mrs. Wills Kindergarten for a Peek at My Week! Just checking in with a few highlights for our upcoming week!




Click on my plans for more details and hyperlinks.
Our reading program begins with a review of letter and short vowel sounds so we spent much of the month of September working on kindergarten skills.  This works well because it frees up some time to get procedures and routines in place for the rest of the year .

 This week we'll finally begin our formal spelling program and we'll begin with the short a pattern.  To introduce each spelling word I will say the word, then the kids will say it, clap it, figure out the number of syllables and then use it in a sentence.   Then as a class we'll stretch out the words to hear all the sounds and then record each word on a spelling recording sheet. 

I like to have the kids work with the sounds and then use the spelling pattern to spell the  words because they can see how to use letter sounds and patterns to spell these words not only for the test on Friday but in their daily writing as well.  
 For our word work station this week the kids will use magnets and a recording sheet like they've been using the past few weeks.  

The kids will also get to build short a words with these clothespins.  In previous weeks the kids have had to read a word and the build it.  This week I want them to have a bit of a challenge at the word work station.  This activity requires the kids to use their knowledge of letter sounds and the short a pattern to help them spell these words and then record the words on the page.  

Set up for this station is quite easy... all I did was write letters on the end of clothespins.  Then I placed the pins in this organizer I picked up at Lowe's and the kids have access to all the letters they will need to build these words.

  
We'll continue to use this work station rotation board.  It worked  well last week and the kids were bummed when we didn't get to do all three rotations.  They keep telling me how much they LOVE rotations.  My teacher heart is so happy!  I think they're loving the ability to pick what they want to work on at each station.  I also think they love to use what they view as "teacher supplies" at these stations.  Can't wait to see what this week brings.  

In math this week we'll be working with different ways to make numbers.  This hula hoop will be used to help us understand the commutative property.  I began this concept on Friday when I flipped the hoop and the sum didn't change.  The kids were so excited to see this and it really helped them to "get it".  I'm hoping that using it again this week will help them to really understand and apply the commutative property.  



This week we'll also have a fire safety presentation on Friday and to go along with the presentation we'll read a Scholastic News that includes fire safety tips.  After the presentation and reading the Scholastic News we'll complete this worksheet where the kids can write about one fire safety tip they learned throughout the day.  Then they'll color their hat and I'll use the hats to create a fire safety bulletin board in our hallway.  I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Have  a great week!!

No comments

Back to Top