Book Study: Chapters 1 and 2

I have to say I'm three chapters in and I'm blown away!  It's great to read this book and realize that much of what I do in my classroom is developmentally appropriate and is really what's best for kids to learn.  I'm also enjoying the new ideas I've gotten so far.  I've even started using them in my room. 


I love that the book starts out with two scenarios.  It's obvious that scenario 2 is what we all want and work so hard to achieve each and every day.  I'm so excited to read this book... I'm sure we'll be learning a ton of great ideas from the book as well as all the amazing teachers that are joining in on the conversation!

Chapter 1 Brainstorming and Discussion








How I'm Already Using This:
I loved reading this chapter and realizing that I'm doing a ton of this already.  We "turn and talk" and "turn and teach" all the time.  I truly believe my kiddos are some of the best teachers in my room.  We use this strategy during writing workshop, math, our ela daily 5 rotations and guided reading lessons. Kids learn by talking it out.  

I also loved the "Think, Pair, Share" idea.  I use this in my room from time to time and I'd love to find some ways to use it.  I'm thinking our math workshop block might be perfect for this.  We've been doing a ton of talking about problem solving and using different strategies to come up with the same answer in math.  I think the "Think, Pair, Share" idea would be just great for these discussions to occur in smaller groups or with buddies.

What I Want to Try:
I love that buddies/groups are called families.  How clever and motivating to ensure all are working together and are respectful of one another, just like a family.  I love the idea of working in families to check answers and find a consensus if discrepancies occur.  I can just hear the conversations that would take place!

I also love that this chapter included some interventions for the kiddos that are having some trouble sharing or answering questions.  The sentence starters are a great way to help kids in the primary grades answer questions and participate in discussions.  We all know kiddos in K-1 need modeling, and more modeling, and sometimes even more modeling!  Ensuring all the kiddos are involved and engaged is so important!


Chapter 2 Artwork


I must admit when I need to cut something, this is where I cut from.  However, I've worked hard this year to tie every piece of artwork or craft to some kind of learning.  It's been a success.  The kids love the end product and I love all the learning that takes place.  

How I'm Already Using This:
During our vocabulary instruction each week we act out and draw out new words.  I've seen such an improvement in my kiddos vocabulary.  They're using these words in discussions and with their peers.  My teacher heart is so happy.  They're even able to use these words weeks down the road and they're making connections to new words and new topics.  Let's be honest, that's ultimately what we want so I couldn't be happier.    

In science we've been drawing and labeling various topics we've been studying throughout the year. At first I thought this would be a disaster with everyone saying they couldn't draw what they needed to draw but the kiddos love this and it truly shows me how much they have learned.  

What I Want to Try:
I love the idea of an illustrated math vocabulary journal.  Math terms can be confusing to some and drawing out the term may jog their memory when they return to that definition for help.  

I also love the poster idea for the end of a unit!  Working together to showcase all the facts or details of a unit is such a fun way to show all that the kiddos have learned.  I also want to the try designing the book cover to work on main idea.  Main idea can be tricky to teach as the kiddos often can't put into words what the book or story was mostly about.  Drawing a picture in the form on a book cover seems like just the right idea to help them understand main idea and apply it to a project! 

Sorry for the lack of pictures on this post!  Didn't really think about wanting pictures to go along with this until last night when I sat down to write the post.  Will try hard next week to snap some pictures.

I can't wait to read other posts/comments.  There are amazing teachers on these blogs and in the comment sections of the blogs and I can't wait to hear all about your ideas and successes in your own classrooms.




Head back to Kickin' It in Kindergarten for more ideas from other amazing bloggers.  

Happy Saturday morning... the sun in shining and we have two days off! 

12 comments

  1. Hi JD,
    I also LOVED the idea of having students work in families. How powerful, right? Your post reminded me of how I like the idea of doing posters at the end of a unit for kids to show their understanding and learning. Math would be a powerful time for think pair share!
    Joya :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joya,
      I changed my plans for next week so we can end our penguin unit with a poster project. I'm sure my kiddos will love it!

      Delete
  2. That's so cool - I was going to talk about "families" too - but had already said so much about this awesome read. I think any time you can refer to your classroom as a family/community of learners the more our kiddos understand how they should respect and interact with one another.

    Great book, right?!?!

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed... I can't wait to read the rest of the book!

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of having students draw out their vocabulary words! We do DSA (spelling program) and while some of the students can spell the words...it doesn't mean they know the actual meaning of it. I think representing the words with pictures is totally age appropriate and I'm going to try to start implementing it more! Thanks for linking up and for the wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of having students draw out their vocabulary words! We do DSA (spelling program) and while some of the students can spell the words...it doesn't mean they know the actual meaning of it. I think representing the words with pictures is totally age appropriate and I'm going to try to start implementing it more! Thanks for linking up and for the wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed... drawing the vocabulary words makes it meaningful for all and all kiddos can participate. We even act out our vocabulary words... sometimes we need to great creative!

      Delete
  5. Great post! I love that you are already using many of the strategies from Chapter one. It feels great when we read a book that really solidifies what we are already doing. Thanks so much for participating in the book study. I look forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what else the book has in store for us... what a gift to read and share our ideas with one another!

      Delete
  6. I love the section about working in "families" also! I agree, it's such a respectful way to get your students to discuss and listen to each other! I definitely am looking forward to establishing those groups and modeling how families discuss with one another and disagree! I can't wait to see what the book has in store for us. So much learning to do that's so practical for our classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree... I'm excited to read the next few chapters. I'm also excited to share ideas... I got a ton of ideas reading other blog posts yesterday! What a gift!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top