Five for Friday: Halloween Week

I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for 
Friday. 
  

Well... we survived another full week filled with a full moon and Halloween excitement.  I cannot believe we are turning the calendar to November... oh how the time flies!  

I love this time of the year and have started listening to Christmas music already.  Is anyone else excited that Hallmark Channel is beginning to air Christmas movies starting tomorrow!!!  

Here are a few highlights from our week... THE longest week ever!!

ONE: Sentences and Punctuation
This week we learned about the different kinds of sentences and what kinds of punctuation go with each sentence.  I first introduced the 3 different types of sentences and then I read the book Exclamation Mark.  What a phenomenal book.  The kids loved it and it was a great segue into what kind of punctuation mark goes with each sentence.  

The following day we reviewed each type of sentence as well as the punctuation marks and then I sent groups to write their own sentence for each type.  We got some great sentences.   Perhaps the best part was seeing my kiddos use what they've learned during our ELA rotations as they created their own sentences for new sight words or short vowel words they built.

TWO: Math Games
I usually try to keep my math games non-holiday specific so we can continue to use the games throughout the year.  But this week I wanted to add some "spooky" fun to our math workshop block.  My kiddos enjoyed these odd even and addition sum games this week.  


  THREE: Bats
My kiddos LOVED learning about bats this year.  They stopped anyone they could this week to tell them what we learned about bats.  It's so great to teach 6 and 7 year olds... they are excited about everything!  To finish our bat unit today I invited parents in to help us make this bat craft where we could showcase three facts we learned about bats.

FOUR: Comprehension Strategies
 Nothing makes me happier than when I see my kiddos using strategies I taught in small group during our reading workshop block.  This week I had several students anxiously waiting to show me how they used a strategy in their independent reading books.  So proud of them!


Five: Halloween
Our school has an annual Halloween parade each year so our day is filled with Halloween excitement.  This morning we had a small snack to celebrate the holiday while we watched the movie Spookley the Square Pumpkin.  The kids loved this movie and they actually watched it... shocking I know!  I decided to bring in some fruit for my kids to enjoy as well... they'll be getting enough candy this weekend. The big hit was the apple peeler that created "snake apples" as the kids called them!



Happy Halloween!

 Don't forget to visit Doodle Bugs Teaching!

No comments

Back to Top