Five for Friday

Today I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday!


Here are some highlights from our week!

ONE: End of Year Assessments
I can't believe it's almost June and we have a month of school left!  The year has flown by and I'm so sad to think of my Firsties moving on.  I'm gonna miss each and every one of them!  I was blessed with an amazing class this year and I am so proud to call them my students.  

I've started our end of year assessments and I have only one more running record to go.  Thank goodness... running records feel as though they never end!!  We actually did a bunch of smaller assessments this week as well so I can begin report cards over this four day weekend!  I'm hoping to get a good chunk of the report cards done but who knows if that will actually happen.  



I'm always amazed by the progress each kid makes from the beginning to the end of year.  I love looking at the first report card assessments to compare them to what the kids are capable of doing know... first grade is such an amazing year in a child's development!  I am so thankful to be a first grade teacher!

TWO: Shapes
This week we worked on 2D and 3D shapes.  To finish the unit on geometry we used marshmallows and toothpicks to build both 2D and 3D shapes.  The kids had so much fun with this and they were so proud of the shapes they created. As I walked around the room I loved to hear the kids talking with one another to name their shapes and to give each other ideas to help them create a new shape.   


After building the 2D and 3D shapes I had them use tangrams and shape blocks.  After using the tangrams I encouraged the kids to create their own patterns or shapes.  They came up with some great shapes... a rocket, a BIG ice cream cone, and a flower.  Another great way to end the geometry unit.  


THREE: Simple Machines
We started a short unit on simple machines this week.  It's going to be fun over the next few weeks to develop the kids' schema because as you can see they have very little prior knowledge of simple machines so we have a lot of learning to do!  I can't wait to get started next week leaning about each of the different simple machines!




FOUR: Problem Solving
We began these pet shop themed problem solving printables during our daily math workshop and the kids have done an awesome job with these! They eagerly wait for me to pass out the new page to see what animal at the pet shop is on the daily practice page.  Anything to keep them motivated and engaged! 


 FIVE: Memorial Day
We had a great discussion about Memorial Day and why we celebrate it.  I had my kids write about what the day means to them and they each had a unique take on this very special and important day!


Have a great Memorial Day weekend.  Don't forget to visit Doodle Bugs Teaching!

No comments

Back to Top