Five for Friday: October 2nd

I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for 
Friday. 
  

Here are some highlights from our week! 

ONE: Reading Workshop Assessments
After reading the Literacy Teacher's Playbook by Jennifer Serravallo I was inspired to use a reading interest inventory with my kiddos this year.  I finally finished the inventory this week and I'm so glad I did it.  I learned some great information from my kids that I wouldn't have otherwise known.  This will help me as we move forward during our reading workshop time and as I begin planning my small group lessons.  



Please excuse the terrible handwriting... just wanted to jot notes as quickly as possible to get these done!  This kiddo LOVES scary books and movies... a kid after my own heart.  I never would have guessed she was into scary "stuff"!

TWO: Word Work Station
During our word work station this week my kiddos built short e and short u words using magnets.  After they built the words I had them record the words using crayons (red and blue) to match the magnets.  Such a great way to show the kids the difference between the consonants and vowels in each of these CVC words.  



    THREE: Word Families
We've been working with word families since the beginning of the year.  Each week we have used a different format to build and write these words.  I wanted my kids to have different kinds of practice with word families so they would be ready to use these materials at the word work station. 
This week we've been studying apples so we wrote words on apples on our Promethean Board.  The kids got a kick out of this scene.  

FOUR: Interactive ELA Notebooks 
This week we really got into our interactive ELA notebooks. On the right hand side of the notebook I introduce a new skill or new words.  On the left side the kids use what they learned to apply the skill or use the words in sentences.  We've been taking this really slow so that in the coming weeks the kids will be able to do this on their own.  



Five: Assessments
I'm almost done with my September assessments... I know it's October but it's only October 2nd so I just missed my self-imposed deadline!  This week I got almost all my running records completed.  I also finished up some math assessments as well as a spelling inventory.  I love looking at the results of the spelling inventory and beginning sounds assessment.  All these assessments give me a sense of where my kids are and helps me to plan word work, reading and math activities for the whole class as well as individual students.


My goal for this weekend is to really take a close look at all the assessments to help me "get to know" my learners to best meet their needs in the coming weeks.  I also want to begin planning some intervention activities for some of the Kindergarten skills my kiddos need some additional practice with.  

Have a great weekend.  Don't forget to visit Doodle Bugs Teaching!

1 comment

  1. LOVE you apple word family smartboard activity! It looks like a lot of fun.
    My Fabulous Class

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top