March St. Patrick's Day Prep with Freebie

It's officially March and I can't believe it.  It doesn't seem like it can be March already because we haven't had a winter here in upstate New York.  It feels more like late fall than March 1st but none the less we're moving forward... the rest of the year is going to fly by.  I wanted to share a few of the math resources we'll be using over the next few weeks during our math workshop block each day.  

These math spinner games are easy to prep and allow for lots of addition and subtraction practice in the classroom.  The addition pack includes sums to 10, 20, doubles, as well as ways to make 10.   

The subtraction pack includes subtraction from 10 as well as subtraction within 10 and 20.  I found gold coins at the dollar store last year and I have my kiddos use the coins as their game board markers.  

I also have a missing part game we'll use during our math rotations.  The kids need to find the missing part of each number bond and then sort the number bonds based on the missing number.  The more practice they get with this skill the more fluent they are with both addition and subtraction.
   
I've been creating spinner games for each Month of the year and these March Math Tub Games are now in my TPT store.  There are several versions of many of the games to make differentiating easy.    

I've also created additional spinner games that use two spinners are I use these games tp differentiate the tubs my kiddos use each day.  I laminate these add/subtract and cover games, put out two-sided counters, as well as a paperclip and my kiddos are ready to play the game.  The addition spinners have sums all the way up to 35 while the subtraction cover games include differences within 20.  


I also have my kiddos write number sentences as they practice addition and subtraction facts.  As I circulate around the room I like to see what my kiddos are working on so I know they're practicing their math facts correctly.  While I usually put these pages in page protectors so they kids can use dry erase markers, I sometimes copy the pages and have the kids hand them in so I can look over their work... so many possibilities!!


To go along with the add/subtract and cover games I've included a doubles version for my kiddos who still need practice with their doubles facts as well as a subtraction from 10 version for the kids that need friends of 10 practice.  

Similar to the fact family games is this missing part game.  I have my kids roll a 12 or 20 sided dice for their whole.  Then they roll a 6 sided dice for the one part.  Then they need to figure out and record the missing part.  I like to see the work for this game as this game be tricky skill to master.

We begin and end each math workshop block with problem solving.  I feel like kids cannot get enough problem solving practice.  To begin our workshop block we always solve a word problem with our math buddy.  I have the kids work through a word problem on their work mats.  The student with the pen explains to their partner how they are solving the problem.  Each day we switch up who solves the word problem but I love that my kiddos are using math talk with their buddies.  

To end our workshop block, typically three times a week, we end with a problem solving printable.  It's just one word problem the kids need to solve and I usually check it right then so they can make corrections as necessary.  The printables I've been creating have different themes including construction, rainy day, pet shop and winter/snow themes. 

The printables always have a real world feel to them... that being said, the St. Patrick's Day word problems do not... enter in Leprechauns and gold coins.  All the printables packs in my TPT store include result unknown, change unknown, and start unknown examples.  I encourage my kiddos to use a tape diagram or a number bond to solve the word problem and I make them label their answer based on the question that was asked.  

For St. Patrick's Day I've created these half sheet printables that you can download from my TPT store for free.  I hope your kiddos enjoy these!!



Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

No comments

Back to Top