Five for Friday: Sept. 16

Our first full week for the 2016-2017 school year is complete and I'm so proud of my kiddos. Thank you Kindergarten teachers for getting these kiddos ready for first grade!

I'm linking up for Five for Friday to highlight some of the work we did this week!


ONE: Nouns
This week was all about nouns.  We sang the noun song on Flocabulary and the kids loved it.  We also acted out the definition (a noun in a person, place, thing, animal, or idea) and I think this really helped the kids figure out which words are nouns and which words aren't.  We also came up with lists of different kinds of nouns and on Friday we sorted these Popsicle sticks by person, place, thing, or animal.  

TWO: Would You Rather Game 
I channeled by inner Hope King this week and we played a "Would You Rather" game to get to know each other a bit better.  I would real the card, give the kids some think time and then I'd roll the dice.  The kids would have to get into groups of the number I rolled and then they would share their answers.  The kids loved to share with their peers and I'm thinking of other ways to use this throughout the year!

Three: Odd and Even Numbers
We did a ton of odd/even work this week and my kiddos are really understanding why some numbers are even and why other numbers are odd.  We created a number line and then built the numbers to show how some numbers have buddies while other numbers have one counter that is left over. My kiddos had a great discussion about this number line and I was so proud of them.  We also sang this odd/even song and completed some math notebook pages to show our learning.


FOUR: Tally Marks 
We also learned about how to show numbers using tally marks.  To introduce tally marks we built numbers on ten frames and then translated this to tally marks.  The ten frames made it easy for the kids to see how groups of 5 they would need to draw as well as how many single tally marks they needed to include.  

FIVE: Word Families
We began this week by reviewing short vowel sounds and then spent the remainder of the week reading and building short a cvc words.  I introduced word families to my kiddos and on Friday they were split into groups so they could create their own word family lists.  They we so proud to display their work on our anchor chart wall!


Have a great weekend.. Don't forget to check out Doodle Bugs Teaching for more Five for Friday posts! 

1 comment

  1. I can almost imagine your students' little brains growing! You really implemented a lot of great activities. I like the odd/even pictures they made in their notebooks.
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top