Book Study: Chapter 14 and 15

Today I'm linking up for Chapters 14 and 15 of the Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites book study.  


Both of these chapters have some truly great ideas that I can't wait to try in my classroom!




"When learning is physical, it is more motivating, engaging, and likely to be extended." (Jensen, 2008).  Enough said... the more meaningful movement we can add to our classroom the more our students learn.  

How I Use This Strategy
Each week we body spell our spelling words.  The kids love to do this as it gets them up and moving.  I love it because its a quick and engaging way to review spelling words.  Such a great activity if you have a few extra minutes.  
Each week we have several vocabulary words that we work with.  To help us remember the meaning of each word we work together to "act out" the words to help us better understand and use the vocabulary.  We also "act out" our story re-tellings.  This makes our reading more meaningful and the kids love it.    


 What I Want To Try
I'd love to incorporate "acting out" math word problems.  What a great way to make the problem solving more meaningful.  I'd also like to include more readers theater into our routines as well as more demonstrations in our science curriculum.  



I love the ideas highlighted in this chapter.  Storytelling is natural for kids and it helps them make connections to their learning as well as bring different concepts together.  

How I Use This Strategy
We use a a ton of literature to teach and review math and ela concepts.  Kids love to hear stories and when we can insert content learning into these stories it is so powerful, especially in the primary grades because young kids love stories.  We also do a ton of retelling, especially with our learning buddies.  The kids love telling stories to their partners.  

What I Want to Try
I'm always looking for new books to incorporate into our lessons.  I'd also like to create more stories to match our concepts.  I think with a bit of modeling my kiddos could even create their own stories to reteach concepts we've already  learned.  


Be sure to link up or visit Kinder Gals to see what others are blogging about!

1 comment

Back to Top