Five for Friday - May 12th

I'm linking up for another Five for Friday this week.  Here are some highlights from our week!

ONE: Morning Tubs
I cannot say enough about morning tub time.  Instead of morning written work we typically use morning tubs Tuesday through Thursday.  Morning tubs offer so many opportunities for the kids to use their imagination, problem solve, and work cooperatively with their peers.  

I usually set out 8 different options for the kids to choose from and the only two rules I have for tubs is you can't choose the same tub two days in a row and only three kiddos per tub. 

TWO: I've Got Your Back
This year our school has adopted an "I've Got Your Back" theme for our character education program and this week we did some writing related to this theme.  Here one of my kiddos wrote about how she has my back... so sweet!!
  
THREE: Mother's Day
For the past several years I've purchased vases from the Dollar Tree and I've had my kiddos paint the vases for Mother's Day.  The vases this year came out so darn cute!

To wrap the gifts the kids and I put a ton of newspaper around the vases and then wrapped them again in white tissue paper.  To seal the package we tied ribbons around both ends... all the kids loved the wrapping because they thought it looked like candy!

FOUR: Safari Hunt
I love this time of the year!  The kiddos are so independent and can handle working with a few buddies to "search" around the room for objects/pictures related to a vowel pattern we've been working on.  

My kiddos did a great job this week working on the OU and OW patterns and they were so helpful to their peers as they tried to figure out which pattern to use for each picture/object.  

FIVE: Coding
My kiddos are IN LOVE with coding.  We've been using a few websites to get us started with coding and they have done a fantastic job.  

This week we did a large scale version of coding on our carpet.  The individual squares on our carpet made for an easy transition from the computer to real life.  We worked on this code for a few days as we needed to backtrack and change some of our coding as we realized what we had previously done did not work.  I loved how this got my kiddos thinking through the next few moves to ensure their code would work as we moved forward.  Such wonderful problem-solving skills related to this activity!

Don't forget to check out other Five for Friday posts!  Have a wonderful weekend... Happy Mother's Day to all the amazing mom's out there!

No comments

Back to Top