Book Study: Technology

Today I'm linking up for Chapter 16 of the Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites book study.  


Oh Technology... so many things to talk about.  I was so happy the Marcia Tate referenced the fact that technology is one of the twenty strategies we should be using.  I feel like sometimes people want us to use technology just because we have it and it's there.  

I truly feel technology is great but needs to be balanced with the other resources we have in our classrooms.  A colleague and I were just talking the other day about screen time and the fact that many of our kiddos get a ton of screen time at home as well as at school.  

I guess I don't want to add to their screen time unless I believe the use of technology is the BEST strategy for the learning.  Sometimes having the kiddos work with a buddy or two to talk through a task can be just as effective as something they could do using technology.  

Ok... off my soap box.   I do love using technology in my classroom and in fact we use it everyday.  




How I Use This Strategy
During our morning meeting each day we complete a calendar page where we review ELA and math skills.  While the kids work on their work mats we also record our learning on the Promethean board.  Also during morning meeting we work on a weekly message as well as sight word sentences.  



During math we begin each workshop session with a word problem.  We read and discuss the word problem and then the kiddos solve it on their work mats.  I love putting the word problem on the Promethean board because the board is so large and its easy for all the kiddos to see.  They also love using the board to share their answers.  



During our math "mini-lesson" we use Promethean board flipcharts I've created to introduce and review concepts in math.  I love using this board because there are a ton of great graphics and options that can be used to engage the kiddos and help with the math lesson.     

We even use our board to listen to and participate in Flocabulary videos.  Today we played an even/odd game on the board... the kiddos loved it!



 What I Want To Try
I'd like to try using PowerPoint and Word to have my kiddos publish or create pieces of writing that they're working on.  I also think using PowerPoint to present a topic they have learned about could be another way to use technology in the classroom.   


How are you using this strategy in your classroom?


Be sure to link up or visit A Rocky Top Teacher to see what others are blogging about!

1 comment

  1. I love incorporating technology into my classroom as well! I love the idea for having students get more involved in creating PowerPoints. Our district just went to one-to-one technology, so we are definitely being pushed to USE it!
    Beth
    Adventures of a Schoolmarm

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top