Five for Friday

Today I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday!


Well, we survived the last "full" week even though it wasn't technically a full week.  We had a half day today.  As I begin the long chore of getting my room ready for the summer I am so sad to see my kiddos go.  

Here are some highlights from our week!   

ONE: Father's Day Gifts
Last year I had my kiddos decorate coffee mugs for their fathers.  This year I looked in about 6 different dollar stores for the mugs and could not find any that would work.  

So we needed to think of another idea and we needed to think of something quickly.  So the first grade team decided to make a Father's Day Trial Mix.  The kiddos enjoyed putting together a snack for their dad and they were all hoping their dads would share the snack with them on Sunday!




TWO: Building Words
The PTO at our school allowed each classroom teacher to buy a few teaching resources for our classroom next year and I was lucky enough to get these word construction nuts and bolts!!

I am in love.  My kiddos used them to create cvc words this week and they loved using them.  As the spun each nut they were able to manipulate sounds to determine if the words were real or nonsense words.  This is going to be a great resource for next year!

   THREE: Sight Word SWAT
This week we were reviewing sight words and I needed a quick, fun way to get the kids engaged and wanting to review these important words.  I typed a bunch of sight words on our Promethean Board and included bug clip art around the board.  

Then I had two kids come up and using fly swatters, they needed to swat the sight word I called out before their opponent.  The kids had a blast and were asking me all week if they could play the game again!  That's when you know a game was a hit!  

FOUR: Odd - Even Review 
Thursday afternoon we had about ten minutes left and my kiddos were DONE!  I needed to think of something fast.  I had them line up on the left side of tape on the floor.  The left side was for odd numbers, the right side of the line was for even numbers.

I began calling out numbers and the kiddos had to jump from side to side to indicate whether the number was an even or an odd number.  Never ceases to amaze me how much kids LOVE games.  Sometimes I forget this when I'm caught up in the routines of each week. 

Like the sight word game, my Firsties loved this game.  They were disappointed when we needed to pack up and leave.  As we were walking out to the buses my kids reminded me I promised another round or two Friday morning!  


 FIVE: Teaching
As I was finishing report cards this week I came across a writing sample from one of my kiddos that struggled with writing at the beginning of the year.  As I looked over the final writing sample I was BLOWN away.  This student has come so far in writing this year and I am so proud.  It's moments like this that remind me why I love teaching!!  We are all so blessed to be doing this wonderful job each day.
September  

June
June

Have a great weekend.  Don't forget to visit Doodle Bugs Teaching!

No comments

Back to Top