Five for Friday

I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday... on Saturday!


ONE: Oobleck
March came too quickly this year and it kind of slipped my mind last week that we should have celebrated Dr. Suess.  So this week we celebrated Dr. Seuss by reading several of his books.  Perhaps the most popular book this week was Bartholomew and the Oobleck.  My kiddos loved listening to the story and then writing about what the king learned.  That afternoon we created our own oobleck to take home... it was definitely a big hit!!  



TWO: Writing Workshop
My kiddos did a great job this week revising and then editing their pieces to publish in writing workshop.  I've always struggled with editing lessons but this year it really clicked with my kiddos.  They were so motivated to make their pieces the best they could be and they really wanted to help their buddies with their pieces as well.  I love to see the kids working so well together and I'm looking forward to reading their published pieces this week!!

 THREE: Work Work
This week I introduced scrabble spelling and I needed some scrabble tiles.  Last year I used Scrabble Cheez Its, but it was so messy I wanted to use the regular tiles this year.  I randomly found a very old scrabble game in one of my back closets and jackpot... I found both the wooden tiles as well as cardboard letter tiles!!  The kids loved building our spelling words and then using them in a sentence.  I've noticed how well my students are writing in sentences and I'm sure it's in large part to all the practice they get during our daily 5 time.  


 FOUR: Place Value Workmats
This week we took a short break from our addition and subtraction practice to do some place value work.  Determining ten more and ten less can be very tricky for some kiddos so I created these workmats that got a ton of use this week.  I like to have the kids build the numbers and then determine the ten more and ten less numbers.  I think seeing the number in front of them helps them with this skill and in the end makes this skill more automatic.  

FIVE: Fluency Strips
I began new RTI groups this week after I finally finished report card assessments last week.  I have a few kiddos that need to work on their reading fluency.  They tend to read word by word and aren't confident in their word reading so they tend to sound out every word.  My kiddos loved reading these fluency strips and it's a great activity a few kids can work on together each day during our RTI time.   



Have a great weekend.. Don't forget to check out Doodle Bugs Teaching for more Five for Friday posts!  

No comments

Back to Top