Five for Friday- March 17th

Happy Friday and Happy St. Patrick's Day!  I'm linking up for another Five for Friday post.  It was one crazy week with the Blizzard of 2017 interrupting our already short week but we managed to get a few things done!


ONE: Blizzard 2017
A storm for the ages that's for sure... we got about 2 feet of snow here in upstate New York.  At some points during the day the snow was coming down at a rate of 2-3 inches an hour.  We had a snow day Tuesday and Wednesday and a half day on Thursday for Grandparents and Special Friends Day, so our week was very short!

TWO: Grandparents and Special Friends Day
Each year we celebrate Grandparents and Special Friends Day on a conference half day.  With my kiddos going to special first thing at 9:20, our celebration of this day is very quick, only about an hour long before our early dismissal.  

To keep all the guests engaged and busy, the last few years I've had my kiddos give their guests a "tour" of our classroom. My kiddos are always so excited to show off different aspects of our room and they are able to show off their work as well.  I love that this gets my kiddos working on their speaking and communicating skills as well as answering questions their guests may have.

THREE: Spring Crafts
It seems kind of silly working on a spring themed craft this week with all the snow that fell, but we are ready to think spring even if it doesn't feel like spring.  This week we made these caterpillars and we used them to get some more practice with writing contractions.  

I gave my kiddos two words (written on the legs) and they needed to use what they know about contractions to write the contraction formed from the two words (written on the body).  I can't wait to display these in our classroom to make it look a bit more like spring!

FOUR: US Symbols
Perhaps my favorite unit is coming up... US symbols!  This is always a favorite of my kiddos as well and I can't wait to get started.  I have a ton of nonfiction books related to US symbols and I put them out as part of our morning tubs.  The kids are already hooked and can't wait to start learning about all the different symbols.  

FIVE: Instagram "Post"
I'm loving the chance my kiddos are getting each week to "post" something to our weekly Instagram page.  This week my kiddos wrote about their favorite part of our week again!  Love seeing all that they enjoyed during this very short week!

Have a great weekend... Don't forget to check out Doodle Bugs Teaching for more Five for Friday posts! 

No comments

Back to Top