Five for Friday - It's Finally Spring Break

Short week and we're FINALLY on spring break... I am so excited!! I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for another Five for Friday!

Here are some of the highlights from our week!

ONE: US Symbols
We finished up our US symbols unit this week with my kiddos acting like "tour guides" to give their classmates a tour of one of the US symbols.  I was so impressed by the information they shared with their classmates as they toured each of the symbols.  Here are a few of the US symbols they drew to share with their classmates!




TWO: Regrouping
We started regrouping this week.  I LOVE this time of the year because it is literally a culmination of all we've learned through the year.  My kiddos blew me away this week... they did such an amazing job working through all the regrouping lessons we did!  

We began the week by just regrouping ones for tens.  The kids did a great job with this and we had some great math talks around this while we worked.  

For the next two days, we worked on regrouping with tens and ones cubes.  I really want my kiddos to understand how regrouping works before they actually do the procedure while adding vertically.  

The next day we worked on the vertical procedure of adding with regrouping.  As buddies worked together during our small group time we sang our adding vertically song and used cubes with a vertical work mat to show the procedure and how it actually works with the cubes.  


THREE: Plants
In a few weeks we'll be visiting a local preserve to transplant these lupine plants to help the butterflies that live in the preserve.  This is the first year in my five years of teaching that all the seeds have sprouted.  I have literally only watered the plants once since we planted the seeds in March... perhaps that's the trick.  These are definitely my kind of plants!!

FOUR: Egg Hunt
Yesterday at the end of the day we had a short egg hunt in our classroom.  The kids were so excited to search around the room to find the eggs!  I bought a pack of 48 eggs from Walmart for $1.98 a few weeks ago.  This pack had 6 different colors which was perfect for separating my kiddos into 6 groups.  Then I took 6 eggs of each color and filled them with math sentences that the kiddos needed to solve while hunting for the eggs.  This was a great way to spend the last 30 minutes before our week long spring break!!

FIVE: Spring Break
So excited to tackle this to do list over spring break.  I know I won't get it all accomplished but I'm excited to tackle some bigger projects as we head into the last two months of the school year!  

Don't forget to check out Doodle Bugs Teaching for more Five for Friday posts.

Have a great holiday weekend! 

No comments

Back to Top