Sight Word Games

I'm popping in today to show you a few sight word games I've created for my classroom and have become a hit with many of my students.  I've now created an editable version of one of the games for you to use in your classroom. This game is a freebie in my TpT store.  


 Back to the Hive is a sight word game that I use in my classroom.  The kids love it and it's a game that keeps on going... there's no end to the game which is so great when the kids are using this during literacy rotations.  No "I'm done, now what?" when you're trying to work in small groups!!  

The kiddos pull cards and read the sight words on each card. If the card is read correctly the player keeps the card.  There is also accountability with the other player as he or she needs to make sure the word is read correctly before the other player can keep the card.  



As the game continues players continue to pick and read cards.  If they pick up a "Back to the Hive" card, they need to put all their cards back and the game continues. 
The games I've previously posted align with the words in our Reading Street program.  I've had some requests for an editable version of the game so I've also posted that to my TpT store.  

While the Back to the Hive game is a favorite among many of my kiddos, I know that a change is always a good idea when it comes to games during our literacy rotations.  This "Cold Snap" game is a game I use during the spring months and the kiddos seem to love it as well.  Click on the cover for a link to this freebie in my TpT store.  



The game works with the same rules.  Kiddos pull cards and read the sight words on the cards.  If they select a "Cold Snap" card they must put all their cards back.  This game is posted to my TpT store as well.  



I have also created a version of this game that includes sight word sentences.  I think it's important to have the kiddos find and read these words in context as that is what is ultimately expected of them.  





I hope these are helpful and can be used in your classroom!

No comments

Back to Top