Camping Week

Three and a half more days!!  I cannot believe it.  Last week was Camping Week and I'm popping on to share a few highlights from the week.

Teacher truth... this was the third straight week of themes and with trying to clean up the room and prep it for summer painting, I didn't do a ton of classroom transforming.  I need to be putting stuff away, not taking more stuff out!


That being said I did put up a "tent" on our word wall that I created using a blue table cloth from Walmart that cost $.97.  I reused the flame from last week's torch to create a fire!  Little prep but it did put us in the camping mood.  


For math tubs this week we played two camping themed games.  The first game was a review of place value.  The kids needed to read and build the tens and ones to determine the different campsite numbers.



The second math tub game this week had my kiddos practicing their doubles facts with a game called S'more Doubles. Little prep and the kids had a ball using marshmallows as markers.
 
During our literacy block we worked on putting different camping words in ABC order.  

We also reviewed several vowel patterns this week.  We built words using our red and blue magnets and then the kids had to record the words on these camping themed pages.  After building and recording 9 words, the kids had to use three words in sentences. Clearly it's the end of the year and I need new markers!


To finish out the week my kiddos got to write about whether or not they liked s'more as well as a campfire story they wnated to share with the class. This was a great way to tie paragraph writing into this themed week!




The kids also listed all the words they could think of that had a camping theme.  Some of them came up with a bunch of words!



This is the first year that I have done themed weeks to finish out the year and I am so happy we did it!  It was so much fun and it gave me a chance to enjoy the last few weeks with my kiddos!!

To all of you that have a few more days left, hang in there, we're almost done!! 

No comments

Back to Top