First Grade Olympic Games Week

This year I decided to end the year with three themed weeks and I am SO glad I did this!  This was week two of the themed weeks and my kiddos were so excited and engaged and the week flew by.

First Grade Olympic games commenced on Monday morning and we began by starting a week long scrabble game.  Kids were separated into two teams and the teams were asked to spell and build words that contained patterns we reviewed each day.  

I also wanted my kiddos to be participating in some kind of physical activity so these Olympic games were "authentic".  That being said after each word was spelled and built we had to complete some excercise challenges.  The kids loved this and it kept them moving around during our word work block.  This was so important for this time of the year! 

Our math workshop time also included some Olympic themed games to go along with our week long fun!  The first game my kids played this week is Addition Battle-Olympic Edition.  Each kid picks two cards and then finds the sum.  The player with the larger sum gets a point.  Play continues and the kids can reshuffle cards when necessary.  

I have posted this game to my TpT store along with another version of this game so your kiddos can add two-digit numbers vertically.  Always trying to stretch and challenge the kids.  This is great because you can differentiate this game for different learners in your classroom. 

The other game my kiddos played this week was Place Value Battle-Olympic Version.  Much like addition battle the kids picked 3 cards and built the largest three-digit number they could with the cards they had.  The player with the larger number wins the point.  Play continues and the cards can be reshuffled when necessary.  

I have also posted this game to my TpT store with the Addition Battle game.  

To end the week I had my kiddos work on a spelling inventory so I could see where they are in terms of phonics skills and spelling.  

After our "closing ceremonies," I also gave each of my kids a medal for all their hard work in the First Grade Olympic Games.  I found 24 of these medals on Amazon for less than $5.  The only issue was they were an Add-On item... but don't worry, I found something else to buy!!

No comments

Back to Top