Olympic Scrabble Game

With three more weeks of school, I am looking for any way to keep my kiddos engaged and working hard!  Last week was safari week and the kids LOVED it.  This week is our First Grade Olympic Games.  During the week we'll be reviewing many of the skills we've learned throughout the school year. 
To review several of the vowel teams we learned we played a week long scrabble game that the kids were so excited about!

I set out two sets of cards and divided the kiddos into two teams.  This week I gave the kids words to build because I wanted them focused on particular vowel team patterns each day.  In previous weeks I let the teams come up with their own words.

After each team member recorded the word in their Olympic notebook, then I selected 1 student to grab the necessary letters to build the word.  The team that built the word on their board first got an extra point for their team. 

After each team built the words, we added the points together and then recorded the score on the scoreboard.  This was also a great time to review math skills, particularly regrouping when adding!


To add to the game this week we also did some exercises to give the game an even more Olympic feel after each round. 


 Check back later in the week for a post about all the Olympic activities and games we took part in this week. 

No comments

Back to Top