Five for Friday

Today I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday!


Here are some highlights from our week!   Our last full week of school! :(

ONE: Planting
We finally got around to planting this week.  We planted on Tuesday and this afternoon we noticed a few sprouts... the grow lights are an amazing thing!  


TWO: First Grade Favorites
I've seen the First Grade Favorite photo projects all over Instagram and blogs... I love the idea.  We're using a slightly different version of this project.  I'm having the kids do their own writing and we'll attach the photo to the top of the page.  Next week we'll create a revised copy so I'll   be printing pictures at Target and we'll finish the writing next week.  


THREE: Math Games
Today was Field Day and by the end of the day I only had 12 of my 19 kiddos.  So the writing project I wanted to complete was put on the back burner until next week.  With the last 25 minutes of the day the kids got to team up to play some math games.  I had some kids playing addition Chutes and Ladders as well as addition Candy Land.  Because I let 5 kids play each board game I gave them candy to use as their markers... they loved this idea! 

I also took out my iPhone and iPad to let some kiddos play a math game. The app is called Math Slide and if you haven't tried it out download it now!  The kids love it and it's a great way to give them addition and subtraction fluency practice as well as number concept practice.  Perhaps the best part of the app is that it's multi-player.  The iPad edition allows up to 4 kids to play at one time while the iPhone app allows two kids to play. Great way to get a few kids on classroom technology at one time! 


FOUR: Field Day
It never ceases to amaze me how exhausting Field Day is.  Our events were first thing in the morning so I really wanted to include a few ways to add some competition and games to our entire day. First we completed this Field Day Workout when we came in.  The kids actually worked up a sweat.  

As they rotated around the room they answered questions that included review from the year.  After they recorded their answers they needed to do some exercises until I blew my whistle and they switched to the next station.  They LOVED this!



After completing the review cards we also had a relay to see which team could fill up a jar with marshmallows first.   To get the point someone from the team needed to count the marshmallows by two... great way to add in some math review.  To end the day I have the teams try to fan a paper fish into a box... they loved this and it was a challenge for some!


 FIVE: It's The Little Things
Yesterday I was in meetings all day and as the kids came down the hallway at 9 am I ducked into the conference room to begin my meeting.  About a minute later I heard the faintest of taps on the door.  I opened it to find one of my kiddos standing there with a flower and hug "just because".  What a sweetie!  I am truly going to miss this bunch... they are all so sweet!   



Have a great weekend.  Don't forget to visit Doodle Bugs Teaching!

No comments

Back to Top