Math Workshop Must Haves

Math workshop is probably my favorite time of our day.  This 75 minute block allows for a ton of math skills to be practiced each day.  There are a few materials that I go to again and again and I wanted to share them so perhaps you can use them for the upcoming school year.  

Problem Solving Work Mat:
Our workshop block always begins with a word problem and I typically have the kids solve the problem on these work mats.  I like to see their math thinking and this work mat allows me to circulate and take notes for individual students. I can also do some reteaching or provide extra help as the class is solving the problem on their mat.

 To save paper I put the work mats in page protectors.  I use page protectors rather than laminate the pages because it's easier to erase expo marker from the page protectors than the lamination. Instead of whiteboard erasers I use socks.  They work just as well and they're a lot cheaper.  




Math Tub Storage:
I purchased these tubs from Walmart two years ago and it was a great investment.  The tops snap on which is great because if the tub is dropped the materials don't go flying everywhere.  The tubs are also big enough to place papers in without bending the pages.  They're also deep enough to store manipulatives that need to be included.  I love placing all the materials in one tub for the kids because it's easier for them to know exactly what they'll be using. The best part... they only cost $3.88 a piece!    







When we've finished using a tub I put the materials in a manila clasp envelope and label the envelope so it's easy to access it later on.  I tried storing tub games in a filing cabinet but a full filing cabinet is a nightmare to open and close so I decided on a crate.  It works perfectly and allows me easy access to all the tub games. 


I also place a list of tub games in my planner so I know exactly what tubs I can pull from when I'm planning from week to week.



Math Game Materials:  
Dice:  There are so many great ways to use dice during math workshop.  You can add, subtract, figure out what number comes next, determine if a number is odd or even as well as many other activities.  I love using dice because all the kids need is a different recording sheet and the dice can be used in multiple ways! 

I purchased these dice (38 dice) on Amazon for $10 a few weeks ago and I picked up this nail storage container at Lowe's for $3.  


These polyhedral dice were purchased by the PTO at my school at the end of this past school year and I can't wait to use them during my math block as well.  I think these would be great for partner games as well as some whole group fluency games we play during math block transitions.    


I also got these foam dice on Amazon this summer... sometimes it's nice to have the kids use "quiet" dice when the room gets a little too loud!



Dominoes: Dominoes are also a must have in my classroom.  They can be used much like dice during math block... all you need are different recording sheets.

Playing Cards:  Probably my kids favorite game from last year was a game called "Addition Battle".  Any time I set this game out the kids went nuts.  The game is simple but a great way to practice addition skills all year.  

I set out a deck of cards and each player draws two cards.  Each player finds the sum of their two cards and then the player with the higher sums takes all the cards.   With some kids I have them record their sums on a work mat before determining who has the higher sum.  

The winner is the player with the most cards at the end of the game!  This is a game that's easy to differentiate as well.  The kids can add three numbers before comparing, they can record and sort their sums based on whether the sum is odd or even, they can even build two digit numbers to add before comparing the sums.  


Playing cards can also be used to compare numbers, subtract numbers, and find what numbers come before and after.  There are so many options for playing cards and the games don't require a ton of prep!!

Independent Problem Solving Printables:
To give my kiddos independent problem solving practice each day we used these themed printables.  The printables include all three types of word problems (result unknown, change unknown, start unknown) and when printed back to back, offer two days of problem solving practice that I can look at and make notes if necessary for individual students. 





Thanks for letting me share with you some of my math workshop must haves!! 

No comments

Back to Top